Ingredients measured weights Water 2.75 C. 1.35 lb. Barley Malt 3 T. 0.14Ib. Demerrara Sugar 1 T. 0.04 lb. Yeast 1 tsp. 0.01 lb. Salt 1 T. 0.05 lb. Bread Flour 8.25 C. 2.70 lb.
Mixing the dough:
1. Put all the barley malt into the bowl.
2. Add a bit of flour from the recipe amount and work it into the barley malt until the malt is off of the sides and bottom of the bowl.
3. Add the water and demerrara sugar and stir it in with a fork.
4. Sprinkle all the remaining flour on top.
5. Add the yeast and salt.
6. Stir the mixture with a fork until it comes together in a shaggy mass.
7. Empty the bowl onto a clean dry work surface. Don't worry if there is still loose flour and partially mixed bits, these will work in as you knead the dough.
9. Knead the dough for 8 minutes, then put the plain dough into an oiled container. Covered loosely with plastic wrap.
10. Allow to ferment for 1-2 hours in a warm spot.
Shaping the bagels:
1. First divide your plain dough into 18 evenly sized pieces.
2. Lightly round the plain pieces and set them aside, covered.
3. Roll the bagel pieces out into even strands of about 8 inches each.
4. Leave a bubble of dough at each end so that your strands look like barbells.
5. Wrap the strands around your hand and overlap the barbells by about 1-2 inches.
6. Use a rolling motion against the bench to seal the two ends together.
7. Place bagels on a floured surface and allowed to rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
8. Lightly cover the bagels with plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
1. Pre heat the oven to 475 F
2. Fill a stock pot about half way up with water and bring to a boil.
3. Prep bins of any toppings you'd like your bagels
4. Drop as many bagels as you can fit into the pot and boil from 1 minute.
5. After a minute, scoop the bagels out of the water and drop them into the topping containers.
6. Once they are rolled in the toppings, transfer them immediately on to a silpat covered baking sheet and place directly into the oven.
7. Allow the bagels to bake for 3 full minutes, then flip directly on to the baking stone, and continue baking your bagels for another 18-22 minutes.
8. Repeat steps 4 through 7 until all your bagels are baked.